First, in Cumberland, MD in order to build a new school, Allegany High, project mangers are demolishing a decrepit hospital. When developers began planning, they knew it was going to be a large task with the condition of the building. They carefully prepared for the removal of asbestos and upon further review found sources of mold. More importantly, the school is being just as cautious with both removals.
School officials state that they are not going to rush through the abatement and removal because they understand the severity of the issues. With this kind of attitude, this will be a successful project because they are taking the process seriously.
Unfortunately, environmental awareness and resident safety is not always paramount for companies. In the United Kingdom, fashion designer Caroline Wilcox contracted mesothelioma from playing with asbestos as a child. She and some of her friends would have asbestos "snowball" fights with asbestos dust that gathered near their homes from an asbestos plant in Bowburn, Duhrum County. From such exposure, she fell quite ill and was not given a hopeful outlook by physicians.
With the available asbestos knowledge we have now, she took action and got a settlement from the company as a result of their negligence.
Ms. Wilcox states, "My case establishes that the people of Bowburn were exposed to the dangers of asbestos over forty years ago and were largely unaware or unable to do anything to protect themselves and their children."
Two separate issues where one party is aware of asbestos dangers and the other party has to see an illness in order to act. The green building community is progressing the knowledge base of the dangers of asbestos. We can see companies who have made poor judgement with asbestos are attempting to correct their mistakes. Education and proper training is crucial to stop such events from repeating.
To help professionals prepare for challenges, GreenEDU offers the following course on asbestos: