Lead exposure during pregnancy can affect infants’ brain development.
|Protecting children from lead exposure should start even|
before birth. Photo from tiptimes.com.
- Have your home tested for lead paint
- Children or pregnant women should not be present during a renovation of a pre-1978 home
- Make sure your child does not have access to peeling paint or chewable surfaces painted with lead-based paint
- Regularly clean floors and windows with a wet cloth to remove household dust
- Regularly wash children’s hands and toys
- Avoid using traditional folk medicine and cosmetics that may contain lead
- Avoid giving the child candies imported from Mexico
- Check to make sure you dishes and storage containers are labeled lead-free
- Remove recalled toys and toy jewelry immediately from children
Landlords, Renovators, Painters, Installers, Contractors: Do your part to prevent child lead poisoning - get EPA Lead Certified before performing any work on pre-1978 homes.